Academy for Science and Health Professions
The Academy for Science and Health Professions is a STEM magnet high school with selective admissions. ASHP serves the Conroe High and Caney Creek feeder zones of the Conroe Independent School District. Currently, ASHP has approximately 400 students. Approximately 40% are top 5% of their respective classes; about 65% are top 10%; and about 90% are top 15%. Our college acceptance rate is 100% and graduates matriculate to a wide range of institutions including Texas A&M University, University of Texas, Rice University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the US Naval Academy, the US Military Academy, the US Air Force Academy, Georgia Tech, Louisiana State University and a number of other universities.
Over the last 10 years, ASHP has been associated with 19 National Merit/Hispanic Scholars and six Gates Millennium Scholars. For the last three years, 75% of our students have graduated as Texas Distinguished Academic Program Scholars.
In addition to our academic requirements, our students complete internships with a variety of organizations and compete in regional and state competitions, including the Science and Engineering Fair of Houston, the Exxon-Mobil Texas State Science Fair, Area, Regional and State HOSA and BEST Robotics.
The primary mission of the ASHP is to prepare students who are interested in science, mathematics and their applications for future success. We will provide a rigorous curriculum and diverse experiences in a scientifically oriented learning community characterized by supportive faculty, engaged students and involved parents. This environment will foster commitment and creativity, responsibility and respect, pride and unity, and trust and cooperation.
Students of the Academy for Science and Health Professions will, in accordance with the National Science Education Standards, become literate, responsible citizens who make informed, socially responsible decisions and contributions that positively impact society.
- To provide students specialized courses in mathematics, science, allied health science, engineering and technology.
- To transmit to students an understanding of the nature of science and the scientific enterprise and to serve as a portal of entry to advanced science study.
- To maximize student achievement by providing a stimulating learning environment characterized by application, career exploration, academic rigor, support, and varied learning and assessment opportunities.
- To support students through internships, competitive group and individual design and research efforts, and student-driven demonstrations and outreach initiatives.
- To help students explore a wide range of opportunities available in STEM careers through interactions with individuals at institutions of higher learning, hospitals, businesses and industries.
- To develop competent, confident, capable learners.
- To develop a community of learners based on a continuous improvement model involving teachers, students, parents and community members.
- To serve as a resource to other CISD schools, particularly CHS and CCHS.
- To be a vital, integral, value-added component of Conroe High School.